Hillhurst Calgary Community Profile: Schools, Amenities & More
- April 15, 2018
- By Cody Battershill
Hillhurst is a highly desirable inner city community in northwest Calgary located within a few kilometres from the city centre. Home construction in the area dates back to the 1880's, but official establishment of the Hillhurst community wasn't until 1914.
Today, a combination of prime inner city location, aging homes and high demand for new infills have given way to several new home developments in Hillhurst.
This community provides residents with quick access to the downtown core, amenities and services in the Kensington BRZ, outdoor recreation at nearby parks and the Bow River pathways and so much more! It's no wonder it has become one of the most popular areas for those who desire an inner city lifestyle.
Learn more as to why this neighbourhood is a popular choice among inner city buyers at our 3 Reasons to Buy a Home in Hillhurst Calgary.
Search Hillhurst Real Estate
Hillhurst Amenities & Services
Hillhurst is an ideal inner city community for those looking to partake in a semi-walkable lifestyle. Located on the east end of the neighbourhood, the Kensington BRZ is home to more than a hundred restaurants, shops and services that are easily accessible within 10 minutes on foot or just a few by car from any point in the community.
There's also a ton of different bus routes with stops in the neighbourhood. The C-Train line from northwest to downtown has a permanent stop at the Sunnyside LRT Station, half a block east from the community's eastern boundary. This gives easy access to amenities at Northhill Mall, Brentwood Station and all other LRT stops along the way.
Let's not forget that this inner city neighbourhood is located on the north bank of the Bow River. A short 5 to 10 minute walk will get you to the river pathways that provide many residents of Hillhurst with quick-and-easy access to work and other locations in the city centre. Also see:
Hillhurst Designated Schools
- Hillhurst has four schools located within the community. Hillhurst Elementary administers education for kindergarten to grade six
- Queen Elizabeth Elementary, Junior High and Senior High are all located within the same building and provide services for students ranging from kindergarten to grade twelve in varying programs
- Both of these schools are a five minute walk from any part of the inner city community
- Two post-secondary institutions are also conveniently located in Hillhurst. SAIT Polytechnic and Alberta College of Art and Design are located a maximum walk time of ten minutes
*Sourced from the Calgary Board of Education
Hillhurst Demographics (2014)
- Ages 0 to 19 – 21%
- Ages 20 to 64 – 73%
- Ages 65 and up – 6%
- Median age - 35
- Population in 2014 - 6,497
- Occupied dwellings in 2014 –3,141
- Percent of occupied dwellings occupied by owner – 38%
- Percent of occupied dwellings that are single-family – 30%
- Percent of residents who live in single-family dwellings - 35%
- Median household income before tax (2010) – $70,014
Hillhurst Demographics (2009)
- Ages 24 and below – 36.9%
- Ages 25 to 54 – 49.6%
- Ages 55 and up – 13.5%
- Average household income - $55,434 (Statistics Canada, 2006 Census)
- Percentage of population with a High School Diploma or higher – 90.4%
- Ratio of residents who own their property – 45.7%
- Ratio of residents who rent their property – 54.3%
*Sourced from the City of Calgary
Public transportation is plentiful in the area with routes that stop in each quadrant of the city. Sunnyside LRT station is also located across the street from Safeway in the Kensington area.
Routes that service Hillhurst include route 1, route 4 and 5, route 9, route 1, route 105, route 107, route 113, route 145, route 166, route 403, route 405, route 411, route 414 and route 419.
The areas serviced by these routes include Bowness and Forest Lawn, Huntington, Varsity Acres and Bridgeland, Dalhousie, Calgary South, Montgomery, Northland, Glenbrook, Inner City, Hillhurst, Rosedale and East Calgary, 14th Street cross-town and Parkhill and the Foothills.
Servicing such a wide spectrum of the city offers residents of Hillhurst an easy way to get from A to B without hassle. Please check with Calgary Transit for updated routes!
Hillhurst Community Boundaries
- Northern Border – 8th Avenue NW, 16th Avenue NW from 19th Street NW to 10th Street NW
- Eastern Border – 10th Street NW from 16th Avenue NW to Bow Trail SW
- Southern Border – Bow River from 9th Street Bridge SW to roughly 18th Street NW
- Western Border – Roughly 18th Street NW from the Bow River to 8th Avenue NW
Calgary Inner City Resources
Questions about Hillhurst Real Estate in Calgary?
As a highly experienced inner city specialist and REALTOR® in Calgary, I guarantee to provide you with only the best service, advice and representation while taking care of all your real estate needs.
Call anytime at 403-370-4180 or message me below for a quick, if not immediate response. I am looking forward to helping you accomplish your real estate plans!
[gravityform id="35" title="false" description="false"]