Calgary Zoo’s Illuminasia Lantern & Garden Festival is Here!
“An experience unlike any other” is the first thing that you see when visiting the Illuminasia Lantern & Garden Festival section on the Calgary Zoo’s website.
Unless you’ve been to Illuminasia in Blackpool, United Kingdom – the world’s largest indoor illumination experience – then this statement will likely hold true for anyone visiting this fall in YYC and is one great reason why you and company should consider going!
Located at the Calgary Zoo, Illuminasia Lantern & Garden Festival is a six-week long event starting September 17th, 2015, running through until November 1st, 2015.
During that time there are three themed shows scheduled: China, Japan and India, each with their own unique set of never-seen-before in Calgary lanterns, as well as other included and separate-ticketed events that include everything from cultural performances to culinary adventures and more!
- When – September 17th to November 1st, 2015
- Where – Calgary Zoo – 1300 Zoo Road NE
- Cost – from $18.00 to $65.00 depending on ticket (+$5.00 parking)
- Hours – Thursday to Saturday – 7:00pm – 10:00pm, Sunday – 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- Contact – 403-232-9300
China (September 17th – 27th)
During the China Experience event, live entertainment will be on centre stage at Grazers Lawn found just across the way from the ENMAX Conservatory from 8:00pm to 9:00pm Thursday to Saturday and 7:00pm to 8:00pm Sunday. This entertainment is absolutely free for all park visitors and includes:
- Chinese Lion Dancers & Drummers
- Phoenix Artistic Troupe & Guests
- Guest #1 – Dlabolo
- Guest #2 – Bella and Umbrella
If you are looking for a more extensive experience during the China weeks, check out these separate ticketed events (all 18+):
- Pair it and Share it – Tea and Chocolate – $80.00 per person
- Chinese Culinary Experience – $147.00 per person
Japan (October 1st – 11th)
Similar to China, there will also be live Japanese entertainment at Grazers Lawn across from the ENMAX Conservatory every night from 8:00pm to 9:00pm Thursday to Saturday and 7:00pm to 8:00pm on Sunday. It is also free for all visitors and will include performances:
- Sake Ceremony
- Kenichi Ebina
- Paula Nieckar, Taiko Drumming
- Atsushi Ono, Magician
Meanwhile, ticketed events are also available during the Japan weeks and include:
- Zen and a Cup of Tea – $145.00
- Japanese Culinary Experience – $147.00
India (October 15th – 25th)
The 11 day India event will also feature nightly entertainment at Grazers Lawn across from the ENMAX Conservatory from 8:00pm to 9:00pm Thursday to Saturday and 7:00pm to 8:00pm on Sundays. Shows will include:
- Sparq Productions (Bollywood entertainment)
Those looking for a more thorough Indian experience should check out these ticketed events:
- From Chai to G & Tea – $80.00
- Indian Culinary Experience – $147.00
I Love Calgary
Illuminasia at the Calgary Zoo is just once of the awesome activities and events there are around town. For more of the best local activities and events, we invite you to join us at Calgaryism on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram today… hope to see you there!