Calgary International Airport 4th Runway Development
The Calgary International airport (now known as “YYC”) is Canada’s fourth busiest airport by passenger traffic and third busiest by aircraft movement. To accomodate the busy schedule and increase capacity the Calgary International Airport (YYC) is planning to build a fourth runway. The motive for the new runway is that during peak hours there are aircraft waiting to take off and a fourth runway will be much more efficient system for the airport.
Calgary is also a major logistics hub with large cargo volumes. The new runway and airport expansion will also allow the cargo traffic to grow as well.
The new Calgary airport runway is going to be the longest runway in Canada and will be capable of handling the worlds biggest and most advanced airplanes. Combined with the new international terminal, the runway will be a huge boost for Calgary’s tourism.
- $2.05 Billion is the estimated cost of the expansion
- The new runway will be 4.2km long & 61 meters wide
- There will be over 5000 lights that will illuminate the runway
- Construction is expected to be finished in 2014
- Will be the longest runway in Canada when completed
- Will be capable of handling the A380 and other super-jumbo jets