Calgary Activities – Cirque Du Soleil
Most people don’t know much more about the French-Canadian acrobatic troupe other than how entertaining the shows are. Some don’t even realize that Cirque Du Soleil was established in Canada and not in France with the French name and all. Nothing that entertaining comes from Canada, does it?
This statement is very wrong. The truth is that Cirque Du Soleil is the most prestigious traveling “circus” entertainment group in existence and is quite definitely something to be noticed not only for its bright colored tents that stand out, but for its complete dominance and success in the industry.
A History of Cirque Du Soliel
In the 1980’s the beginnings of what was to become Cirque Du Soleil started transcending to life in a village named Baie-Saint-Paul just east of Quebec City. This group of young entertainers called “The Stillwalkers of Baie-Saint-Paul” consistently impressed local residents.
This created an opportunity for their founder Guy Laliberte, who was one of the group performers at the time, to convince government officials that they were the answer for the 450th anniversary celebration of the discovery of Canada by Jacques Cartier set up by the Provincial Government in 1984.
The province said “Yes” and Cirque Du Soleil was so good that they would continue astonishing spectator’s for decades to come, leading them to international prestige and success.
Interesting Fact about Cirque Du Soleil
- Initially 73 people worked with the organization
- Today there are more than 5000 employees internationally
- These employees are from more than 50 different countries and use 25 different languages!!
- Cirque Du Soleil’s entertainment empire is estimated to be worth$600 Million Dollars!!
- At home base in Montreal, Quebec there are close to 2000 employees!
- Cirque Du Soleil currently has over 100 different kinds of occupations involved since their creation in 1984 (that’s 27 years)
- More than 100 million people have experienced a Cirque show
- This year alone, there will be around 15 million people world-wide who will see a Cirque Du Soleil show
Cirque Du Soleil in Calgary
Lucky for Calgary, Cirque comes to town once or twice a year. This August and September they brought the show OVO which was fantastic, and last time they were here they brought KOOZA to town. The performances change every time and is entertaining for all ages.
Tickets are not always cheap but for the experience I personally find it to be worth it. The setup at the Sampede grounds is good and I find tickets in the back section to offer a good vantage point. Especially Section 201, near row L, seats 1-6. You can aslo sign up on the Cirque Du Soleil weside and the Calgary Herald insider website to access special offers!
Cirque is an amazing Canadian born entertainment experience, and I highly recommend checking it out!
What is your favourite Cirque Du Soleil show ? Leave a comment!