VIDEO: St. Patrick’s Island Now Fully Re-opened!
- August 2, 2015
- By Cody Battershill
St. Patrick’s Island Now Fully Re-opened for Public Use!
Good news, Calgary… after many years of intricate planning and a construction set-back from the 2013 floods, St. Patrick’s Island has now fully re-opened to the public about nine months after the opening of the bridge.
[pb_vidembed title="" caption="" url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGZSxlhl5Mg" type="yt" w="580" h="270"]
The 31 acre island park destination is definitely one of the developmental highlights from the Calgary Municipal Land Corporation’s (CMLC) current projects so far this year in East Village.
With a total price tag of $20 million, the CMLC has transformed the all-but-forgotten island on the Bow River into a family-oriented and beautifully landscaped urban park area that has a little bit of something for everyone. That includes:
- Confluence Plaza – gathering place with a small amphitheatre, seating area, sun deck and shade all around. The amphitheatre will be host to various cultural activities and events throughout the summer.
- Pathways – The island has a handful of pathways that meander through forested areas great for snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, hiking, biking and walking.
- The Cove – makes river access easy, perfect for rafting and / or fishing.
- The Lowland Channel – a seasonal wetland centrally located on the island, featuring an elevated walkway preventing damage to the environment and also the site of the Gallery Forest, a tree habitat for nesting birds such as owls, eagles and other birds.
- The Picnic Grove – easily accessible meeting place for all to enjoy.
- The Playmound – a children’s playground area.
- The Rise – a nine metre high grassy area, a great spot for cultural activities, events and hanging out on the island.
- The Seasonal Breach – a restored water channel on the Bow River where visitors can leisurely walk out onto the gravel bar from the embankment.
- The Tip – a seating area / vantage point on the westernmost side of the island with spectacular views of downtown and the Bow River. The tip is highlighted by a unique 23-metre piece of public art called “Bloom” that will provide soft ambient lighting past dusk and into the evening.
Calgary Municipal Land Corporation is hosting a grand re-opening event for St. Patrick’s island sometime in September of 2015. We will do our best to keep you updated on when exactly that is!
I Love East Village
Are you as excited for the up and coming East Village as I am? For more of the latest projects, activities and events happening in East Village, be sure to check out our East Village Summary today.
For more of the best local activities, events, restaurants and everything else to do with YYC, give us a like on your social media at Calgaryism on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook - its that easy... we hope to see you there!