The Altadore community in Calgary’s southwest is highly sought-after by many home buyers looking for a convenient inner city lifestyle.
Known for its near-river location, direct access to the Marda Loop BIA and variety of custom new infills, it was established in 1945 with many of its original post-war era bungalows now being replaced by new homes.
Shown above is the Altadore community and it’s convenient location near the Marda Loop BIA on its north end as well as the Elbow River and pathways to the east. From any point in the neighbourhood both Marda Loop and the Elbow River are reachable within about 10 to 15 minutes of walking max.
The Elbow River and its network of pathways extend north to downtown and beyond. Going south, they head towards the Glenmore Reservoir and a bit further to the Weaselhead Natural Area. For those who live an active lifestyle outdoors, living in Altadore makes it all possible just short walking distances from home.
Crowchild Trail to the west makes it easy to get around town. Mount Royal University is a few minutes away, while the up-and-coming mixed-use community in Currie Barracks is also just across Crowchild Trail which will eventually be another amenity hub like Marda Loop.
Amenities and Services
Marda Loop is a Business Improvement Area home to more than 100 different businesses. This includes some of the best restaurants you’ll find in the area as well as other important day-to-day amenities like Safeway and
On 16th and 20th Street SW there’s also strip malls and mixed-use buildings with even more restaurants, shops and services within the community of Altadore.
Our Favourite Altadore Amenities
- Altadore School – (K-6)
- Elboya School – Regular (K-6), Regular (7-9), Early French Immersion (5-9), Late French Immersion (7-9)
- Central Memorial High School – Regular (10-12), Advanced Placement (AP) (10-12), Career & Technology (10-12), Dual Credit (10-12), Off-Campus Work Experience (10-12)
- Western Canada High School – Regular (10-12), Dual Credit (10-12), Early French Immersion (10-12), International Baccalaureate (IB) (10-12), Late French Immersion (10-12), Off-Campus Work Experience (10-12)
- St. Michael School – Early and Late French Immersion (Gr.7-9), Regular Programming
- Holy Name School – French Immersion only
- St. James School – Hockey Canada Skills Academy (Gr.4-9), Regular Programming
- Saint Mary’s High School – Combined IB/Extended French, Dual Credit, Extended French, International Baccalaureate, Regular Programming
Altadore community demographics from the City of Calgary’s latest Civic Census (2015 – 2016):
- Population (2016) – 6,785
- 0 – 14 years – 20%
- 15 – 64 years – 74%
- 65- 84 years – 6%
- 85+ years – 1%
- Census families – 1,845
- Couple families with children at home – 50%
- Couple families without children at home – 38%
- Lone parent families – 13%
- Occupied private dwellings – 2,895
- Single-detached house – 38%
- Semi-detached house or duplex – 30%
- Row house – 9%
- Apartment – 23%
- Median total household income before tax (2015) – $130,638
- Northern border – 33rd Avenue SW from Crowchild Trail to 14th Street SW
- Eastern border – 14th Street SW from 33rd Avenue SW to 50th Avenue SW
- Southern border – 50th Avenue SW from Crowchild Trail to 14th Street SW
- Western border – Crowchild Trail from 50th Avenue SW to 33rd Avenue SW
More on Altadore
Inner City Resources
Questions about Altadore Real Estate?
As an inner city specialist with REMAX House of Real Estate located in the Altadore community, I guarantee the best service and advice while making sure your needs are taken care of every step of the way through your next transaction.
Call me anytime at 403-370-4180 or send a message below to discuss your plans in Altadore. I am looking forward to helping you accomplish your real estate goals!