The inner city community of Altadore in southwest Calgary is highly sought-after by many home buyers looking for the most out of their neighbourhood.
Known for its near-river location, direct access to the Marda Loop BIA and custom new infills, the community was established in 1945 with many of its original post-war era bungalows now being replaced by new developments.
Shown above is Altadore’s excellent location near the Marda Loop BIA on its north end as well as the Elbow River and pathways to the east. From any point in this community both Marda Loop and the Elbow River are reachable within about 10 to 15 minutes of walking max.
The Elbow River and its network of pathways extend north to downtown and beyond. South, they head towards the Glenmore Reservoir and a bit further to Weaselhead Flats. For those who live an active lifestyle outdoors, living in Altadore makes it all possible just short walking distances from home.
Crowchild Trail to the west makes it easy to get around town. Mount Royal University is just past the highway, while the up-and-coming mixed-use community in Currie Barracks is also.
Amenities and Services
Marda Loop is a Business Improvement Area home to more than 100 different businesses. This includes some of the best restaurants you’ll find in the area, as well as pubs, grocers and other important day-to-day amenities.
On 16th and 20th Street SW there’s also a few small strip malls and office buildings with even more restaurants, shops and services.
Some of our favourites in Altadore:
- Altadore School – (K-6)
- Elboya School – Regular (K-6), Regular (7-9), Early French Immersion (5-9), Late French Immersion (7-9)
- Central Memorial High School – Regular (10-12), Advanced Placement (AP) (10-12), Career & Technology (10-12), Dual Credit (10-12), Off-Campus Work Experience (10-12)
- Western Canada High School – Regular (10-12), Dual Credit (10-12), Early French Immersion (10-12), International Baccalaureate (IB) (10-12), Late French Immersion (10-12), Off-Campus Work Experience (10-12)
- St. Michael School – Early and Late French Immersion (Gr.7-9), Regular Programming
- Holy Name School – French Immersion only
- St. James School – Hockey Canada Skills Academy (Gr.4-9), Regular Programming
- Saint Mary’s High School – Combined IB/Extended French, Dual Credit, Extended French, International Baccalaureate, Regular Programming
Altadore Community Demographics
Demographics from the City of Calgary’s latest Civic Census:
- Population (2014) – 9,518
- 0 – 4 years – 7%
- 5 – 14 years – 11%
- 15-19 years – 4%
- 20-64 years – 68%
- 65+ years – 10%
- Occupied dwellings (2014) – 4,200
- Per cent of occupied dwellings occupied by owner – 68%
- Per cent of occupied dwellings that were single-family homes – 40%
- Per cent of residents who live in single-family homes – 48%
- Median total household income before tax (2010) – $96,932
Altadore Community Boundaries:
- Northern border – 33rd Avenue SW from Crowchild Trail to 14th Street SW
- Eastern border – 14th Street SW from 33rd Avenue SW to 50th Avenue SW
- Southern border – 50th Avenue SW from Crowchild Trail to 14th Street SW
- Western border – Crowchild Trail from 50th Avenue SW to 33rd Avenue SW
More on Altadore
Inner City Resources
Questions about Altadore Real Estate?
As an inner city specialist and experienced REALTOR® with REMAX House of Real Estate (in Altadore), I guarantee the best service and advice while making sure all your needs are met throughout your transaction.
Call me anytime at 403-370-4180 or send a message belowto discuss your real estate goals in Altadore and I’ll be happy to assist you in any way I can!